The SBS Merit Scholarship, formerly known as "Pellegrini Scholarship - merit only", is a partial tuition grant, awarded at the post-secondary school level for vocational or undergraduate and graduate academic studies at an accredited school.
- This scholarship is based on merit alone (Grade Point Average 3.0 min.)
- The SBS Merit Scholarship does not renew automatically. Applicants are considered anew on a yearly basis. Students may apply for this grant every academic year, while pursuing their post-secondary and graduate studies.
- The scholarship is paid directly to the recipients' schools in two installments, one at the beginning of the academic year, the fall semester, the other at the start of the spring semester.
- You or one of your parents is a Swiss national.
- You are a U.S. Resident.
- You are permanently domiciled in either New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania or Delaware for two years or more.
- You are in good academic standing (min GPA 3.0) and show aptitude in your chosen fields of study.
- You will study full-time (min. 12 credits) in college or graduate school.
Required supporting documents and application deadlines:
Mail your application form together with the following documents to the Scholarship Committee by March 31st:
- Proof of Swiss citizenship of applicant or one parent (copy of Swiss passport, copy of consulate recognition letter or similar).
- Proof of applicant’s U.S. citizenship or U.S. residency.
- Proof of SAT / ACT or GRE / GMAT results.
- Proof of cost for tuition, room and board (copy of bursar’s bill; high school applicants to provide figures of anticipated cost).
Please also provide the following documents by April 30th:
- Official transcripts of all high school, college and graduate grades (no copies).
Electronic transcripts are only accepted if the Swiss Benevolent Society can download the transcripts from the university's website or if the sender is the respective school.
- One current letter of reference from high school principal, guidance counselor, or from a professor in the applicant’s major area of study on official letterhead (no copies).
Applications or supporting documents postmarked after March 31st resp. April 30th will not be considered. The SBS does not confirm receipt of applications to students. We recommend using a traceable means of shipping, such as certified mail, to ensure safe and verifiable delivery.